Tuesday, September 18, 2012

New Chaos Space Marine Models: First Look at the Dragon, the Fiends, Warpsmith and more!


Old School here with some pics from the latest White Dwarf covering the Helldrake (above) and several other new Chaos Space Marine units! Let's take a look and share some thoughts:


Alright, I have to say it ... after months of hating the idea of a giant metal dragon, this is actually pretty cool looking and begs to be painted!The conversion opportunities for Daemon Primarchs that come from this one model are already flying through my head.

Alright, the Forge Fiend is what I am guessing we heard was going to be the replacement obliterator. We shall soon see. I want to see it in person before I make too many judgements about it, but it is certainly a new twist on Chaos Marines and is a new direction toward more daemon engines and such being in the general force.



The Maulerfiend I am guessing is the Assualt version of the Forge Fiend and I think it looks much cooler. The beast looks big and nasty (and somewhat like a Dinobot), but I have to wonder how big MCs or Walkers really expect to hold up on the table. Off the table, I am excited to get one put together and put a Warpsmith on it for my Iron Warriors!



The Warpsmith is the Warsmith we have always deserved. Dark Mechanicus and Iron Warrior fans rejoice. Converters of loyalists such as the Iron Hands, enjoy!



The Warp talons round things out for us and since they followed the basic armor pattern of the Dark Vengeance Chaos Marines, I think they are cool. Gone are the silly old raptors and now we have something non-metal and much better looking to replace them.



The ornate Chaos armor looks great to me as when I look at the artwork, it would be hard to overdo it. I just wish they would release a box of better basic Chaos Marines.



I have a feeling these bits will end up in my ground troops as well.



Also, I would like to add that I grabbed these photos at Fritz 40k, a great blog that I have read since before I got into blogging nearly 5 years ago.

That's it for now, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on these new models as we take the first look at them.

15 comments:

  1. Love the Warpsmith and the Warp Talons, but not entirely sold on the Dragon and Fiends as yet. Hoping that's just a matter of picture angles and such, though.

    I do like how the wings on the dragon are reminiscent of the wings on the FW Hellblade and Helltalon, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of conversion opportunities for the Helldrake. I think the wings and the top plate could be used along with the back engine afterburner (if it looks like I think it does) - then add those elements together with some drop pod door outer panels, a little bit of chaos plasticard work and all together that should make a pretty sweet Chaos flyer for those who don't like dragons.

      I may make one, I hope others certainly do.

      Delete
    2. Rumor has it there are a bunch of bits in the Helldrake box that allow you to convert it to different gods and poses, so it could be a pretty open ended kit for modifying

      Delete
  2. Interested to see which slots the 'fiends' are going to take up in the army. Hoping it's Elites, then I can have...


    HQ: Daemon Prince

    Elite: Forge Fiend
    Elite: Mauler Fiend
    Elite: Hell Brute

    X3 Troops: Thousand Sons

    Heavy: Obliterators
    Heavy: Obliterators
    Heavy: Defiler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping they would have a non-flyer daemon engine in the FA slot, but rumor has it the fiends are heavy support. I'm currently considering (for those who aren't FW shy anyway):

      HQ: Nurgle Lord

      Elite: Helbrute
      Elite: Helbrute
      Elite: Helbrute

      Troops: As many Plague Marines as fit

      Fast: Dragon
      Fast: Single Blight Drone
      Fast: Single Blight Drone

      Heavy: Defiler
      Heavy: Forge Fiend
      Heavy: Mauler Fiend

      Allies:

      HQ: Epidemius
      Troops: 5 Plaguebearers
      Heavy: Soul Grinder

      Would be 10 daemon engines (although I'm counting the dragon and helbrutes, the later we know aren't true daemon units via the WD entry about Mortis Metalicus) which is an awesome list. I wish I could afford a plague hulk, would be the perfect soul grinder for my list.

      Delete
  3. Wow those look pretty legit. It excites me that the models are getting pretty baller. Gives me hope that the new Eldar stuff is going to melt my face

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, to tell you the truth, I feel a little underwhelmed right now: Some cool ideas, but so far, definitely not the big design revolution some were expecting.

    Granted, the pictures are a little blurry, so all of this may end up being totally fantastic, but going from the pictures we have:

    - My main main issue with the dragon is that it's a dragon. I would have preferred something more along the lines of the FW Helltalon design.

    - The Fiends are perhaps the most interesting concept of the bunch, although it's hard to imagine them completely replacing Obliterators. If that's true, though, good riddance: The Obliterator models were hideous, and those fiends are serviceable conversion fodder at the very least.

    - while it's great that theres a War(p)smith now, you can barely see the model for all the cable, although I'll wait for better pictures of this one.

    - I find the new Raptors are hard to rate, since the rather garish Night Lords paintjob in the photos doesn't seem to be doing the models any favour. Some pretty cool elements there, but while I am all fore more detailed armour, I'm not sure I'm all that thrilled about the new "creepy crawly" look -- at least if it's incorporated across the whole line.

    All in all, I'm glad the wait is over, but these leaks somehow don't make me feel all giddy inside (like Dark Vengeance did). Keeping my fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotta Agree with krautscientist here... though we differ on a few points. I'd go into more detail, but I'm finishing an article on it myself, that'll go up on my blog later today.

    At the same time, I've got a heck of a sweet tip I'm working on for my first post here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking very much forward to that post, Tim!

      Delete
    2. Really looking forward to the first article!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, my only difference is that I am flip flopped. Im not in love with the fiends, I kind of like the drake, really like the drake for conversions and I love the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can do is echo the things already said.
    I too was hoping for a complete re-do of the basic Chaos Space Marines, guess I'll just have to buy as many Possessed boxes as I can....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Chaos is getting pyrovores and harpies... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiends look way too cryx for my taste..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dragons... really?... My next codex better have a Wand of Magic Missile with Skyfire!!

    ReplyDelete