Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hobby Tip Video: Pre-Shading with an Airbrush

Hello Everyone,

General Chaos here with a hobby tip video. A friend of mine who plays Blood Angels gave me a bunch of his vehicles to base coat for him. Since they wasn't mine I decided to experiment with them. I seen a couple guides on pre-shading and thought I'd try it out. What's pre-shading? Well, If you ever look at a well worn airplane you'll notice there's weathering around the sheet metal panels that make up the shell. Like this



Well I was toying around with it and thought I'd create a video, after seeing how the Stormraven came out, on a bunch of razorback/rhinos. Hope you enjoy it and thanks for watching.

4 comments:

  1. I re-posted this for General Chaos because the tournament coverage from today buried it. I think it is a great tutorial and I want it to get the time up that it deserves.

    As for the tournament, please check the blog tomorrow as we will be talking results and show off some of the great armies and fun moments that made it one of my favorite tourneys I have hosted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you doing with the short bursts onto the table? Does this clear the nozzel somehow?

    Otherwise very cool - I had always assumed you applied the darker tone after the main colour. I guess this way you just neeed to have a dark enough weathering tone not to be washed out by the main colour when you go over the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. I was putting the paint on in very light coats and it seems to work out better for me if I blast it on full pressure every once in a while to clear it out.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one that rocks purple gloves when I paint. I'm really happy to see a video tutorial on airbrushing, kind of makes me want to pick up a paint brush again....

    ReplyDelete